On September 29, 1910, a construction contract was awarded to the local firm Ward Brothers and Calder to build a Y.M.C.A. building, designed by the architect F.J. DeLonchant, on a lot donated by Senator Nixon on 1st Street between the Majestic Theater and the Federal Building. Nevada building materials will be used as much as possible, including Reno red brick for the 3-story, 60 x 138 ft. building with a swimming pool and bowling alleys in the basement. “The building will be large enough to accomodate 700 men and boys.” From the Reno Evening Gazette September 30, 1910.
A fund drive earlier in the year raised $117,000 in ten days.