2016 was a busy year for the Special Collections and University Archives department. We’d like to take a moment now as we prepare for 2017 to thank our donors and give a little recap of some of our 2016 achievements.
In 2016, we made available a grand total of 15 manuscript and archival collections:
- Charles Greenshaw Papers (AC 0647)
- Carmelina and Edward Grundel Papers (AC 0654)
- Lewis Hahn Papers (2006-16)
- John Ascuaga’s Nugget Records (2014-13)
- Warren Lerude Papers (2013-28)
- Walter McNamara Papers (2012-03)
- Monday Club Records (2014-04)
- Parking and Transportation Services Department Records (AC 0605)
- Eileen Sweeney Papers (AC 0651)
- University Balloon Races Scholarship Committee Records (AC 0650)
- UNR College of Engineering. Department of Civil Engineering Records (AC 0552)
- UNR Department of English Records (AC 0618)
- UNR Facilities Services Campus Architectural Drawings (AC 0645)
- UNR New Student Initiatives Records (AC 0646)
- James D. Yoakum Papers (2013-27)
- Sally Zanjani Papers (2013-04)
Additions and updates have been made to 8 manuscript and archival collections:
- James Edward Church Papers (NC96)
- First Baptist Church of Reno Records (NC1108)
- Records of the President of the University of Nevada, Reno, Marc A. Johnson (AC 0520)
- Records of the Interim President of the University of Nevada, Reno, Stephen McFarlane (AC 0547)
- Records of the President of the University of Nevada, Reno, Joseph N. Crowley (AC 0548)
- Records of the President of the University of Nevada, Reno, John M. Lilley (AC 0556)
- Records of the President of the University of Nevada, Leon W. Hartman (AC 0612)
- Republican Women’s Club of Reno (85-08)
7 Exhibits have been installed, including 2 with public programming:
- Whose Land Is It: The Dann Sisters and the Western Shoshone Defense Project (September 15, 2015-March 18, 2016)
- Upstart Crow (April 1-July 15, 2016)
- Shakespeare at UNR (April 6-August 27, 2016)
- The Road to Office (August 1-November 18, 2016)
- 50th Anniversary of Mackay Stadium (August 27-November 2016)
- 29th Annual Nevada Writers Hall of Fame (November 2016-present)
- Snow (December 1-March 15, 2017)
We have received the donation of 4 major collections:
- Lawrence I Berkove Papers
- Harry Reid Papers
- John Sparks Papers
- Percival Nash photographs of Manhattan, Nevada
In addition, 690 individual University Archives photographs.
We have answered over 1,550 reference questions in person, over the phone, and by email.
We published our first book A Pictorial History of the University of Nevada, Reno (available for purchase).
And if you’re interested in contributing to our work for 2017, you can donate now securely online via the UNR Foundation Office.
As busy as we have been this year, we’re thrilled to have reached so many fantastic individuals and hopefully inspired a little more love for local history. We’re looking forward to a great 2017.
Happy New Year to all!